The coding is finished, hosting service is chosen, and now the website just needs traffic. The start of a new website is exciting, but without it indexed on search engines, there won’t be much success. An owner needs to submit a website to search engines to have them indexed. Most users find websites using search engines called “The Big Three.” These three search engines are Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
Submit a Website Using a Submission Service
For a charge, website submission services are available. These services promise to submit a website to several search engines including Bing, Google and Yahoo. These services submit to even small, unknown search engines, which brings a website a few clicks a month in traffic. These services normally start at approximately $20 per website.
Before a site owner chooses this option, ensure the submission service does not submit a website several times. “Spamming” search engines can cause the site to get banned and de-indexed.
- Pros: Low cost service for people who are unfamiliar with the process to submit a website to a search engine
- Cons: Some submission services spam the search engines, which cause the website to be de-indexed and banned
Submit a Website Manually
Each search engine provides a “Submit a Website” link. If the website owner has the time, he can submit a website manually. Once the website is indexed on the main search engines, the link propagates to smaller search engines. Adding a website to a search engine does not guarantee it will be indexed. However, most search engines honor a new website submission and the domain is indexed within a few weeks. The following are the URLs to add a website to Bing, Yahoo and Google.
- Google – Submit a Website URL to Google
- Yahoo – Submit a Website URL to Yahoo
- Bing – Submit a Website URL to Bing
This process does not take too much time, and it does not take much experience for a website owner. A website owner can submit each website manually, saving money.
- Pros: Free and does not take much time
- Cons: Only submits to three search engines
Since search engines crawl websites and follow links, gaining backlinks to a website facilitates indexing. If the website has backlinks from articles, blogs or on other websites, it can be indexed even quicker than when the site is manually submitted. Backlinks also improve PageRank in Google and help boost visibility in search engines. This process is more time consuming and harder to obtain, but some longtime website owners are able to obtain backlinks quickly. If you don’t know how to start this, you can always look for link building services.
- Pros: Facilitates search engine indexing without paying to submit a website from a submission service
- Cons: More difficult to obtain backlinks and takes longer. Link building can take months and even years.
These three methods to submit a website to search engines gets a site up-and-running. After the website is indexed, the real work begins. Provide unique, compelling content for users to continue gaining rank in each search engine.